Saturday, February 7, 2009

Flowers, Gifts, and Cheap Entertainment

Eliza, I'm so with you on the flowers.

The first reaction I had to unemployment (and really, even to impending unemployment) was to cut back on spending as much as possible. When you don't know when the next check will be coming in, it's kind of a smart move. I was reasonably thrifty while still employed, so the cutting back wasn't too much of a shock to the system, but I still miss the occasional new pair of shoes or new top. So what's a girl to do?

Reasonably-priced alternatives, that's what.

Flowers can be a fairly inexpensive way to brighten the apartment that you now spend a lot more time in (or almost all of your time, if, like me, you spend money every time you leave and thus try never to go outside). I have got to find a place that does roses for not a million dollars! Or maybe I'll get those potted daffodils that are in season right now. Somehow it seems more humane to have a flowering plant instead of cut flowers.

(Side note - do cut flowers ever turn into flower zombies?)

Another thing that helps keep the spirits high - or at least manageable - is the occasional treat, and I would definitely recommend toys or books. Yesterday an errand brought me to a toy store, and I decided to get something I've wanted for a month and a half: a Wall-E action figure. Sure, this little guy isn't as totally awesome as the removable-parts Wall-E that I got for my nephew, but as he perches on the counter above my computer and keeps an eye on things, he makes me smile!

Which brings me to the third part of the title - cheap entertainment. I have previously extolled the virtues of the $5 shows at the Upright Citizens Brigade, and having already been to one of this week and having plans to see another one before the weekend is up, I will definitely stand by my previous recommendation. This week I also caught a completely free stand-up comedy show at the House of Blues here in LA, and to cap it all off, I went (again, without having to pay) to see a taping of "The Late Late Show" over at the CBS lot. Now, if you're unemployed in or near New York, Los Angeles, or Chicago, you should see what you can do about availing yourself of the opportunity for free tickets. Many, many shows tape in each of those three cities, and they need warm bodies in the audience every day. Check the show's website for ticket info, and if that doesn't help, check the network's website. Barring that, I guess you can always hope for some luck on Craigslist! But definitely persist, because free entertainment is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment