Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Nature Week, part 1

It's Nature Week here in the Pacific Bureau of the UGC, and you know what that means: boring photos from an experience that only one person could ever find interesting! Woooo!

Our first installment is from Griffith Park, the 4,210-acre park right smack in the middle of Los Angeles. How could this possibly qualify? Read on...



Coyote. That's how. It was just meant to be a workout excursion, but as I was pulling into the parking lot I saw this:
Ok, so maybe it's just a dog. A dog with really big coyote ears. A dog with really big coyote ears and a coyote face. Sure! Why not? After all, it was hanging out in a dog park area, and people in this city do tend to own all manner of crazy designer breeds. Maybe it...

AAAAAAAAAAUGH! WOLF!! Do you see that tail?! What the hell is that thing?? Do we have wolverines here? WTF! Definitely a coyote. Crazytalk.

Ok, so with my car parked a safe 10,000 miles away from the carnivorous wildlife, I headed up a nicely-groomed trail and encountered this warning sign:

Oh great! Two more lethal types of wild animal to worry about! I thought I was going on a hike, but maybe now I'll just run for my life. That sounds like a good cardio workout.

But there were no mountain lions or rattlesnakes on the main trail, so my pulse stayed disappointingly low and I started to get bored of the nicely-groomed and rather flat path. As I rounded a corner, though, I saw a promising side trail that only looked like a Fairly Bad Idea.


Sure, it looks a little tough, what with the lack of switchbacks and all, but I do love scrambling up a hill, and this one might be just the antidote I needed on this otherwise-boring walk. Who knows, maybe there will even be something with fangs up there, but at like a safe distance so it's roller-coaster scary, not mugger scary. That would be awesome! Sign me up.

Of course, then I went a little farther along the path and the Fairly Bad Idea started looking a bit more like a garden variety Bad Idea.

Delightful.

See, when it comes to this sort of thing, I'll almost always go for a Fairly Bad Idea, but I'm only about 50% with regular Bad Ideas. Sure, I have health insurance now, but I wasn't getting good cell phone reception up there in the hills and there really weren't very many other hikers out and about at that hour in the middle of the week. And then I got even closer, and the Bad Idea turned out to be a Really Bad Idea.


And while there's still a half a chance I'll go for a Bad Idea, I will not go for a Really Bad Idea, unless for some reason I have a choice between a Really Bad Idea and, say, a mountain lion that's threatening me with a rattlesnake while a coyote waits to tag in to the fight. Not cool, guys, not cool. That path looks an awful lot like it actually just goes straight up the side of the hill, and when I finally got to the bottom of that death path, it was confirmed.

The so-called path looked more like an erosion problem that happened to have a few footprints in it, and while I might have been able to scramble up it (if chased by three unruly carnivores), getting back down again would have been a whole other problem. And you know what I have to say to that? Something unprintable, that's what.

So instead, I turned around and headed over to a different part of the park, and did some Fairly Bad Idea climbing to get up to the highest point in the park, Mt. Hollywood (elev. 1625 feet). Now THAT will get the blood moving! It wasn't exactly a clear day in Los Angeles, but I still got a pleasant view of the Griffith Observatory and downtown.


That's it for today, folks. Tune in tomorrow for more wilderness adventures and close encounters with (far less scary) wildlife!

No comments:

Post a Comment